The Best Workout for Six Pack Abs
Guess what – everyone has abs! However, if it’s the secret to washboard six pack abs you want, you’ve come to the right place. There’s a lot of information out there and it can be hard to know how to achieve your dream abs. A common myth is that you need to do 100 crunches to get rock-hard abs – not necessarily true! To understand how to get your toned midriff, we’ve some top tips on where to start so you can maximize each ab exercise.
The Secret to Six Pack Abs
Unsurprisingly, the secret to six pack abs starts with nutrition. Personal Trainer Kathleen Trotter says sugar consumption should be limited where possible, and encourages eating lean protein and fiber, while limiting your intake of alcohol and processed foods. Lastly - drink lots of water!
You need to focus on decreasing stress while increasing your amount of sleep, since stress triggers the cortisol hormone which affects where you hold your weight. Trotter’s exercise secret is to focus on strength and interval training with exercises that work the large muscle groups. Consistency is key!
HIIT – High Intensity Interval Training
HIIT was initially only used as cardio, such as running and cycling to target fat burning. However, HIIT workouts can also be used for muscle development and body conditioning purposes. Unlike other workouts, HIIT workouts burn calories and lead to fat loss while also developing muscle, leaving you lean and sculpted. Build these exercises into your workout and feel your abs pop! You can add The Flex Belt to your ab workout, which is clinically proven to strengthen, tone and firm your abs. Check out how @nikkifont_fitness up’s her workout with The Flex Belt:
X15 Assisted V-Ups
- Sit with your legs outstretched and hands bent slightly behind you
- Lift your feet slightly off the floor, balancing on your coccyx
- Engage your core, lift your upper body and legs to make a V shape. While keeping your legs straight, lower your upper body and legs without dropping your feet to the ground
- Repeat this exercise x15 times
X15 Alternating Knee Tucks (each side)
- Similarly, to assisted V-Ups, sit with your legs outstretch and hands bent slightly behind you
- Lean back 45-degree angle with a straight back and lift your feet slightly off the floor
- Contract your lower abs as you bend your knees and bring your legs towards your chest
- Keep your core engaged as you twist your core to the left and slowly lower your legs to the right without dropping your feet to the ground. This is one rep
- Repeat by contracting your lower abs and bending your knees, bringing your legs towards your chest again. Upon returning to starting position, twist your core to the right and slowly lower your legs to the left without dropping your feet to the group. This is one rep.
- Repeat this exercise x15 times on each side
- Lie down on your back. Press your lower back into the floor, hip-width apart. Bend your knees and keep feet flat on the floor
- Place hands behind your head. Keep elbows wide and gently cradle your head in your hands
- Bring your knees up to your chest as you lift your shoulders off the floor
- Straighten left leg out, at the same time twist your torso to the right and draw your left elbow towards the lifted right knee so you can feel the crunch
- Return to the starting position and repeat the same on the other side
- Repeat this exercise x15 times
X15 Russian Twists
- Sit with your feet hip-width apart, flat on the floor and clasp your hands out in front of your chest.
- Lean back 45-degree angle with a straight back and lift your feet slightly off the floor, balancing on your coccyx.
- Twist to the right without dropping your feet then return to center
- Twist to the left and return to center
- Repeat exercise x15 times without dropping your feet
Complete 3 sets of this circuit training to absolutely nail your abs in the best way. Aim to complete this three times a week. You can feel your core tightening and toning. With the Flex Belt, you can achieve this by turning up the intensity and challenge yourself to reach level 150! Check out the website so you can supercharge your routine to look and feel amazing.